Finding Auto Insurance for Senior Drivers
After reaching the age of 75, the risk for becoming involved in fatal accidents increases for senior drivers. Because of this, many seniors may find it difficult to find affordable car insurance, and especially while on a fixed retirement income. That is why finding auto insurance for senior drivers can be difficult, but not impossible, as long as the necessary research is done.
Where to Find Car Insurance Companies That Offer Affordable Senior Car Insurance
Because senior citizens are considered to be high-risk drivers, you will need to find a car insurance company to work with that understands your insurance needs. To find the best companies, here are sources to refer to:
- The Internet. The Internet is one of the best sources for finding and comparing various car insurance companies. You can often even obtain quotes through car insurance company websites or rely on a broker website to do the work for you. Just remember to practice safe habits to prevent yourself from potentially being scammed.
- The AARP (American Association of Retired Persons). This organization is another great way of finding affordable senior car insurance policies, and especially through the Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford. The AARP will be able to work with you to find compatible insurance companies, as well as other types of companies.
- The AAA (American Automobile Association). Just like with the AARP, this is an excellent source of finding auto insurance companies that cater to senior drivers. They also offer a Driver Improvement Program to help senior drivers remain safe behind the wheel for longer.
- Senior Citizens Services Centers. Many communities have local centers that can provide you with information about the best auto insurance companies to work with. They can also provide you with general information about driving to help keep you safe behind the wheel.
What to Look For
No matter how you find auto insurance companies, it is important to look for the following:
- Excellent customer service
- Flexible coverage options
- Flexible payment options
- Affordable rates
What is 55 Alive and How Does It Benefit Senior Drivers?
55 Alive is a driving course for mature drivers over the age of 55 that is offered by local AARP services to help sharpen driving skills. The course is beneficial in one crucial way in that many auto insurance companies will offer discounted rates for insurance policies when provided with proof of the course's completion.
Another crucial benefit is that with the 55 Alive course, senior drivers learn how to maintain their driving privileges and independence. The driving course helps mature drivers gain confidence by refreshing their skills to ensure that they are safe on the road. The driving course also goes over safety factors that must be considered, such as the overall design of the vehicle being used.
Discounts Senior Drivers May Be Eligible For
Many auto insurance companies have an array of discounts to entice customers. Some companies may have greater discounts than others, which is why it is advisable to do comparison shopping. The discounts alone can significantly lower the premium.
One advantage that senior drivers have over younger drivers is their eligibility for more discounts. This is because their experience and financial stability may give them an advantage over younger adults. In many cases, senior drivers may be eligible for discounts if:
- Multiple vehicles are insured at once
- Multiple types of insurance are purchased with the same company (such as home, life, and auto insurance)
- They are married
You may be able to have other discounts applied to your policy by:
- Purchasing an insurance policy online
- Having important safety features installed
- Being part of an organization or group (such as the AAA)
- Maintaining a low-mileage
- Maintaining a clean driving record
- Maintaining an ideal credit history
- Taking additional driving courses
Just because you are a senior citizen does not mean that you have to endure the highest rates to remain legal on the road. By dedicating yourself to finding auto insurance for senior drivers, you will make it easier to find an affordable policy right for you.